Guangzhou – January 22, 2007

1 02 2007

2007-01-22 – Monday
Things have become much more routine for me.  Work has settled down to putting out small spot fires (right on time) and my daily hotel and dinner routine is pretty much the same.  On Monday I had dinner with my Vancouver colleague, and the two guys from the office.  We went to a little restaurant which was pretty close to my hotel and had some very good food…

The meal consisted of the following:

spare ribs in a black bean sauce
barbeque goose
stir fry coy sum with garlic
preserved beans with minced pork
beef cooked in a pot of water (laden with chilies)
green pepper stuffed with pork in black bean sauce.

The food was all quite delicious.  We supplemented dinner a few cold beers and some nasty wheat based Chinese alcohol called “Chu God Leung” or similar.  That stuff sort of gently ripped the layers of your throat off, much as paint thinner might, but more so.  Niiice.

Tonight, dinner for the guys was on the company.  They had put up with a lot from me over the past week, it was the least I could do.

We had a good time, but we didn’t want to stay out too late as they needed to head back to their apartments and deal with their evening tasks. I said good night to them at the hotel where they grabbed a cab to head back to the complex of little apartments that’s located within the industrial park where our office is housed.

I went into the hotel, and put my bags back in the room, and headed down to listen to the band and have a couple of beer to help “counter the jet lag” (that’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it).

While down at the bar, I met a group of Quality directors from Nissan’s various worldwide operations. They were from Spain, England, Mexico, France and Japan.  A really friendly bunch of guys.  We chatted and drank until about 2330 that night, and it was DEFINITELY going to be easy to sleep.

When I got up to my room there was a googlechat message from my sister.  It appeared to be quite important.  After some fiddling around with Google Chat and my headset, we made a very strong connection on Google Chat.  That was good, because you definitely wanted a good clear line to make sure you heard the news correctly.  My Grampa passed away! 😦  (There are way to many cool things to say about my grampa, so I’ll put it in a separate post) Grampa had just turned 97 a week or so ago and, to those of us that couldn’t see him nearly often enough, it seemed like he was easily going to crack 100.  That sucks.  It really felt like the proverbial punch to the gut to hear it.  On top of that, I wasn’t going to be able to make it back for the funeral or anything.  Damn.

I laid down after getting the news and was in disbelief for a while, and then just plain unhappy, finally sleeping.

(edit – I realize that this news probably wasn’t on Monday now, but the time has been blurred a bit.  I think it might have been Saturday.  No matter.  It SUCKS.)




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: