Another year has passed, and Christmas is but a blink of an eye away, and yet it seems like this year has just begun. Strange.
- Mrs D got a new car.
- Vancouver almost set a rain record for January
- We elected a right wing government with a leader that tries to be George W. Bush of the North
- I took more photographs than ever before.
- We travelled in China
- I got out to do more fly fishing, more sockeye fishing, but NO Coho fishing 😦
- I travelled a lot for work. Exciting locales such as Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Yellowknife
- I learned that you’re better off to clean your DSLR sensor yourself rather than send in your camera to Canon
- We got into the HDTV world courtesy of a 50″ Viera (I so LOVE this thing….SDTV is blah)
- I lost my last cat on the day after my birthday… I’m now petless for the first time in 27 years 😦
- The BC Lions won the Grey Cup and I won season tickets to the games next year!
- We had a freak snow storm that turned the city upside down in November.
- I spent a lot more time teaching Judo, and am pleased by the improvements I see in my students as they progress.
- We had wind storms that uprooted over 1000 trees in Stanley Park, and almost put a fir tree through our home.
- I got way less sleep than I should have – Halo2/Gears of War
It’s been a busy year. The travelling seemed to break things up a lot and that makes it feel like it went quickly. There were definitely times when I wish I could have stayed at home with Mrs D and just gone fishing. Next year, I want to spend more time on the lakes with Mrs D, and watch as she feels the thrill of catching her first fish on the fly. The trip to China and Hong Kong was amazing, and having my wife there with me to help and guide me was indispensable. I hope that we can go on trips like that again, to other exotic and interesting locales.
One of the most important things is being able to spend time with your family. This past year has been weak in that 😦
- I want to get back to Ontario and visit with my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandfather.
- I want to get down to Michigan to hang out with my sister and her family.
- I want to spend more time fishing with my wife
- I want to spend some time with my dad doing something – What… I dunno, but something
- I want to spend time travelling with my wife
I don’t have big material items on my wish list this year. I just want more time with the people that matter. Which to me, is what Christmas is all about. Gifts and Santa are for kids. As adults we need to look deeper, into our hearts and find the things that REALLY matter, and make them happen, somehow. That’s it really. Electronics have brought our world closer, but it has also allowed us to be further. Close that physical distance, and see, touch and feel the joy of being with someone, rather than just emailing them.
I’m going to start by heading off to Lake Louise tomorrow to visit my cousin!
Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year to all!